- Building Surveying
- Structural Engineer Design
- Architectural Design
- Cost Consultancy
- Specification Writing
- Contract Procurement
- Project Management
- Contract Administration
JDB Surveys is a Liverpool Chartered Surveyor with vast experience in both residential and commercial projects. In this case study, we outline how we carried out a major commercial project, but if you need more information about our residential work please see our testimonials.
In July 2012 Birley Court was a rundown social housing estate comprising four apartment buildings with the capability to accommodate 200 people. JDB were appointed by the incoming tenant Serco Group PLC, to design and manage a major refurbishment project with an ambitious target completion date of May 2013.
The client’s brief was to deliver a mixed facility comprising of single person occupancy, family occupancy and HMO (Houses of Multiple Occupation) in compliance with relevant standards such as The Housing Act 1985 and current Building Regulations.
Other key parts of the Clients brief were:
Each building to be completed on a staged basis with final handover no later than May 2013
- To convert a number of dwellings into an estate management office, NHS Trust medical facility and Home Office agency base
- To control access to the site and each building with a resident & staff permit system which can be controlled and monitored from the site office.
Scope of works
The site is located within Canning Street Conservation area and as a consequence external fabric repair works, particularly to Andrew House (circa 1900) had to be sympathetic to the 19th century Georgian style. In conjunction with T. Sloyan & Sons (Builders) Ltd, works commenced on site at the start of November 2012 and comprised of:
- Overhaul slate roof coverings & lead flashings and repairs to chimney stacks & parapets
- Masonry repairs to brickwork, sandstone details and rendered finishes
- Restoration and replacement of timber box sash windows
- Asbestos removal and encapsulation
- Dry rot eradication and replacement of structural timbers
- Installation of new commercial boilers and overhaul of mechanical installations
- Overhaul of electrical installations
- New fire alarm & detection systems and emergency lighting
- Installation of new kitchen & bathroom suites
- DDA adaptation works
- Fire compartmentation works
- Internal finishes & decoration
- Jetting of below ground drainage system
- Site CCTV installation works and secure access control
- External landscaping and decoration